None of this information should be taken as medical advice. Please see your doctor if you or your baby are sick.
I had all kinds of plans made for our family last week and for this week until she came down with a cold. I had no idea a cold could be this hard on a baby and being that this the first time she got sick I freaked out a little.
I’m glad she didn’t get a bad fever but her nose was so stuffed up for days that she would only nurse 3-4 times and for a short period; for our daughter this was not very much. This meant we had to feed her with a dropper to avoid dehydration. Not fun at all!
I am a person that likes to be prepared for every possible scenario and I thought I was prepared for her being sick; in reality I wasn’t.
For all of you first time moms here is what to expect:
- Forget about getting anything done. Your baby is scared and doesn’t know what’s going on so she’ll want to be held ALL THE TIME.
- A recliner will become your best friend.
- Don’t expect for her to be well in a day or two, most viruses last at least 4-5 days.
- Get your partner to help you with your meals.
- Cancel all plans and take off work, if possible; your baby needs you.
- Be prepared for very little sleep; but you’d be surprised with how little you need!
- Keep in mind that most viruses don’t require medication, so there is nothing you can do but wait. However, always consult your doctor first.
Now onto my “baby medicine cabinet”. Once she got sick I realized I was missing some items to help us through this period. I’m a natural mama which means no medicine unless it’s really necessary and since my baby had a cold there wasn’t a medicine she could take; we had to wait it out – doctor’s orders.
The MOST important thing your baby will need is YOU: cuddling, hugging, kissing, holding, just feeling you!
Here is my baby medicine cabinet list:
- Nosefrida: this will become your best friend when your babies has buggies, whether she’s sick or not. You suck the snot out of her nose but don’t worry, there is a filter and you won’t “eat” any buggies. Worth every penny!
- This thermometer (or any of these). I had every kind you can imagine: ear, mouth, armpit and anal but try telling your baby to sit still. It’s impossible! I also didn’t want to use the anal thermometer. Who likes feeling anything that way?!?
A doctor friend recommended the Infrared thermometer and I ordered with 1 day shipping. Let me tell you: this is amazing! You just point to the forehead, press a button and it will give you the temperature right away.
I had my doubts about it so I took it to her doctor’s appointment to compare readings and I got the same one as the doctor. That sold me! Oh and you can also calibrate if you were getting an off reading.
- A cool mist humidifier. Ours broke a few months ago and we didn’t think we needed one until she got sick. We got a Crane Drop Shape Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier and it has been on 24/7.
- My doctor friend also told me to get one of these: Ear Wax Curettes plus I haven’t tried it yet but I got it just in case.
- A medicine dropper: you will need this to either feed your baby breast milk (if she’s as young as my baby) or to give them a medicine.
- Natural baby chest rub: this has been really helpful for those times when my kids have gotten a stuffy nose.
I’m sure this list will grow as my baby gets older but for now this all we need since babies can’t really take medicine.
If your baby is sick, please call your doctor. They will be able to give you the best advice and stay strong mama! I know it’s hard to have a sick kid but all it takes it’s so time before they’re back to their usual self.
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- What do millennial moms really want? - April 21, 2017
- DIY Mini-City with Toothpaste Boxes (Upcycle project) - April 19, 2017
- Live on Good Morning Washington: Recipes to Make your Essential Toiletries - April 18, 2017
- 14 Things I Wish I Had Known Before Having My Baby - April 13, 2017
- DIY Natural Deodorant Bar (with Organic Ingredients) - April 9, 2017