The year my first daughter was born I lost both of my grandparents to cancer, several months apart. This is not the first time cancer had taken away lives in my family. In fact, everyone that passed away before they did had died from cancer and not only in my family but also amongst close friends.
We live in some scary times when so many people die of so many different cancers. It makes me think about my life, my friends, my family, my husband and kids. What’s in store for us? Are we going to suffer from cancer at some point in our lives? I truly hope not but the truth is that the odds don’t seem to be in our favor.
I don’t have all the answers and I can’t tell you how to avoid cancer but I can tell you what we, as a family, are doing to stay in good health and hope this prevents us from going down this path in the future.
- We stay active.
- We avoid processed foods.
- We cook from scratch using mostly organic ingredients..
- We avoid harsh chemicals in our house.
- We use organic and non-toxic products on our bodies.
- We try not to eat too much sugar and when we do, we make sure it comes from a reputable source with real ingredients, not some stuff you can’t even pronounce.
- We use great resources to make sure our lives are as non-toxic as possible, such as the Environmental Working Group.
- We make sure to eat a good variety of organic fruits and vegetables (sourced locally when possible) and I personally take food based prenatals when pregnant and nursing.
- We get plenty of sun time to keep our vitamin D levels optimal.
- We get lots of fresh air and spend time outdoors.
- We visit a chiropractor on a regular basis.
- We don’t use antibiotics unless it’s absolutely necessary, and so far we haven’t had the need to use them.
- We eat lots of probiotics to keep our gut healthy.
- We drink plenty of filtered water every day.
- We aim to sleep 7-9 hours a night.
- We see our doctor once a year for routine check-ups. If something were to happen, the sooner it’s detected, the better.
We feel pretty healthy and luckily we haven’t had any issues…but I’m always reading and looking for the best and healthiest ways for our family to live because you just never know when something might go wrong. I am hopeful that in the future we will have more answers and more lives will be saved.
I don’t want history to repeat itself and I want to create a better life for my kids.
What steps do you take to keep your family healthy? Are you also worried about all the diseases that are pretty common now-a-days?