My kids love chewing their toys – probably as most kids do. It seems that once they figure out how to use their little hands all they do is put in their mouth anything that crosses their path. My oldest is now 4 years old and she still chews certain toys every now and then, so this phase lasts a while.
When my kid started chewing on everything I knew I had to find something that I could clean the toys with but that didn’t have any chemicals. I came across a couple of toy cleaners but I wasn’t too thrilled about the ingredients. That’s when I realized I would have to make my own toy cleaner.
This recipe is not only very easy to make but it’s completely safe and it actually cleans. I have found myself using it a lot more when my kids are smaller and every time they get sick or one of their friends gets sick.
One of the main ingredients I use when creating natural cleaning products is vinegar. Vinegar is a type of acetic acid that forms through the fermentation of sugars or starches. It is completely safe and edible, and it doesn’t harm little humans – a big plus!
Natural DIY toy cleaner
This recipe uses 1 part of water and 1 part of vinegar, so you can adjust the quantities to make as little or as much as you need.
- Glass spray bottle
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 10-15 drops of Germ Destroyer essential oil – kid safe version (optional*)
This post contains affiliate links
*I don’t use Germ Destroyer use every time I clean their toys. I only use it if someone in our home was sick or we if had a friend over that was sick. This essential oil is great for killing germs so it’s perfect for occasions like that.
Add the water to the glass bottle and then add the vinegar. Shake it gently and it’s ready.
It’s that simple!
If you’re adding the Germ Destroyer essential oil then add it after adding the water and vinegar. Shake gently the bottle and start cleaning.
To use all you have to do is spray on the toy and wipe it off with a cloth. If you’re cleaning an electronic toy then it’s best to spray on the cloth and then wipe the toy clean.
- If you’re trying to get off something that was stuck on a toy like food, a boogie or vomit, use warm water.
- If you’re cleaning plastic toys you can also just leave them soaking in this vinegar/water solution.
- It’s safe to use on wood but do not soak wooden toys in this solution.
- It’s safe enough for your toddler/kid to clean the toys so make this a fun activity for them.
- Keep one of these 2 oz sprayers in your diaper bag to clean the restaurant table and high chair when you go out to eat or to spray clean the shopping cart handle.
I hope you love this non-toxic toy cleaner as much as we do.
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- 8 Ways to Use Bentonite Clay + How to Chose Safe Clay - September 11, 2017
- Need to Go When Your Kid is Having Fun? Ask Your Child This ONE Question To Leave Without Tears - August 24, 2017
- How To Encourage Unsupervised Free Play in a Supervised World - August 20, 2017
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars Recipe - August 17, 2017
- The Best Non-Toxic Odor Remover - August 13, 2017