When I had my first child one of my main concerns was to make sure anything she touch didn’t have toxic chemicals. One of the first things I looked into was buying a non-toxic play mat and a safe floor cleaner.
At first I didn’t know much about what to look for in cleaners and I bought some brands that were supposedly safe but then I realized they weren’t the best. Eventually I started making my own cleaners and now I use this recipe most of the time. I have to admit there are times our lives are busy and I just buy the cleaners I need, if you’re wondering what we prefer, check this section.
When it comes to cleaning floors my best friend is this cordless vacuum because I can use it on any type of flooring but mainly because it’s cordless and I’m usually carrying my baby with me. Although I use this vacuum daily I still like to give the floors a good clean once a week and that’s when I use this homemade cleaner.
This post contains affiliate links
This recipe is made for hardwood flooring since that’s what we have. If you have other type of flooring you can just mix 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar with 1/2 cup of warm water, spray it on the floor and mop it off. If your kids have been sick recently or you’re trying to clean something that’s really dirty I would add about 15 drops of Germ Fighter essential oil (or get on Amazon) to that mixture.
For the hardwood flooring the recipe is a little bit different since we’re cleaning but also giving the wood a nice shine and conditioning. This mixture will make your floors slippery when wet so please make sure it’s completely dry before you have your kids walking around.
DIY Natural Wood Floor Cleaner
- Glass spray bottle
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (don’t use this for cooking, only for your floors)
- 1 cup of water (if you’re trying to remove something that’s stuck on the floor, use warm water instead)
- Measuring cup
Put 1 cup of water on your measuring cup.
Add the white vinegar followed by the vegetable oil. Mix it with a spoon.
Add the mixture to your glass spray bottle. Give it a good shake.
Spray on the floor and then wipe off with a mop or a piece of cloth.
It’s that simple!
Make sure you wait until your floor is dry before you walk on it. If you’re in a rush you can dry it off with a towel.
Enjoy those clean and shiny floors without worrying about your baby crawling on the floor or your kids playing on it.
Like this recipe? Save it for later by pinning this image:
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- 8 Ways to Use Bentonite Clay + How to Chose Safe Clay - September 11, 2017
- Need to Go When Your Kid is Having Fun? Ask Your Child This ONE Question To Leave Without Tears - August 24, 2017
- How To Encourage Unsupervised Free Play in a Supervised World - August 20, 2017
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars Recipe - August 17, 2017
- The Best Non-Toxic Odor Remover - August 13, 2017