About a year ago I got an Instant Pot because I wanted a slower cooker and so many of them were made with questionable materials, like teflon. I chose the Instant Pot because the pot is made out of stainless steel and I figured I might as well get one machine that did several things.
The Instant Pot is a slow cooker and pressure cooker, as well as a steamer, fryer, rice maker and yogurt maker. I had no idea how much I would love this appliance when I first got it… Now that I have 2 kids I use it constantly. It’s a life saver and it makes really delicious food. The best part is that I just throw all the ingredients in the pot and I’m done! This is very useful on those days that the baby won’t let me do anything.
I love using the pressure cooker option when I forget to thaw meat because I can throw some frozen chicken or fish and in less than half a hour I have meal but my favorite function is the slow cooker because it makes your meat so tasty and it falls right off the bone. A staple in my house now is a cooking a whole chicken in the slow cooker. It’s so good that just last Christmas we served slow cooker chicken to our guests. It was a success!
A whole chicken ends up being a lot for us to eat so the day I make it we just eat the chicken with the veggies I cooked it with and for the next couple of days we use the chicken in different ways. We make burritos or tacos, add the chicken to a salad or some pasta or just eat it with other vegetables.
The Instant Pot fits a whole chicken along with veggies. I love that it comes with a rack with handles. You will want to use this when making the whole chicken so the chicken doesn’t sit on the juices, plus once it’s done it’s very easy to pull out.
I personally don’t follow a recipe to make this because I usually make this chicken with whatever vegetables I have at home but I do follow certain guidelines. I like to cook it with a lot of vegetables because it gives it a better flavor and because we eat the chicken with those veggies once it’s done. You can do this with a frozen whole chicken too, you will just have to cook it a little longer.
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
- One whole chicken (we like to buy organic, grass-fed ones from our local farmer or the organic one from Costco)
- Seasoning for the chicken. You can use whatever seasoning you like but I use:
- Organic vegetables to cook along with the chicken. I add whatever I have at home and it’s usually:
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- 2 big potaotes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1-2 squash
- 1 pepper
- 3 celery sticks
- 4 carrots
- 3 tablespoons of grass-fed butter (we use this one or Organic Ghee)
Other Instant Pot recipes you might like:
- Instant Pot Buttery Lemon Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Marsala with Spaghetti Squash
Mix the seasoning in a bowl and then rub it on the chicken. Make sure you don’t leave any part without seasoning.
Then add 3 tablespoons of butter. I usually add one tablespoon at the time and spread out.
Put the lid on, make sure the steam release handle is on ‘venting’. Press on the ‘slow cook’ option, then adjust it so it cooks on low (less). Set the time to 6 hours if the chicken is thawed and 8 hrs if the chicken is frozen.
Once it’s done all you have to do is dish it up and enjoy!
Looking for more instant pot recipes? Check out my Pinterest boards or join the Instant Pot Facebook group for busy parents.
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- Instant Pot Cottage Cheese Recipe - March 27, 2017
- Live on Great Day Washington: Green Spring Cleaning - March 24, 2017
- Folate vs. Folic Acid: Which One Should be Taken During Pregnancy - March 23, 2017
- Live on Good Morning Washington: Recipes to Make DIY Baby Products - March 21, 2017
- Chocolate Raspberry Lip Balm Recipe - March 18, 2017