There’s nothing worse than being out with your kids, only to realize you forgot something essential, like wipes for the baby and snacks for the toddler. Has that ever happened to you? Unfortunately it has happened to me one too many times.
I’ve always been an over-packer because I like to be prepared for any possible scenario but when you have two small children you can’t carry everything you possible need.
When my baby was a newborn I did try to carry all I could possible need but wound up with a bag that weigh so much that I could barely carry it. Eventually I figured out the balance between over-packing and under-packing and I’m going to share with you a list of the essentials you need to carry in your diaper bag when you have 2 small children.
I don’t use everything I carry on a daily basis but I use all of it most of the time. Plus I’ve gotten to the point where now my bags aren’t too heavy and therefore easier to carry around – a must if you ask me!
I have a slight diaper bag obsession and have a stash of Ju-Ju-Be, Petunia Pickle Bottom and Lily Jade diaper bag but regardless of the bag I’m carrying, you will always find the same things in my diaper bag for 2 kids.
Here are my essentials, divided by kid:
- A glass bottle or glass sippy with water (if you’re wondering why glass, it’s because I don’t want the chemicals in plastic leaching into her water).
- 4 diapers
- 3-4 packs of 10 baby wipes
- Diaper Rash Soothing Spray
- Change pad (or I take the one that comes with the diaper bag)
- Silicone feeder (read more about my favorite ones here)
- One change of clothes (if I’m gone all day I’ll take 2 outfits and leave on in the car)
- Baby non-toxic teething toys
- Baby nail clippers
- Camilia and Earth Best teething gel
- A pair of socks
- 2 bandana bibs
- Burp cloths
- Disposable placemat (this is great because it sticks to the table and the baby’s food doesn’t touch the table)
- A small fruit portion in this jar
- A bag of Happy Baby organic yogis
- A Sprout organic food pouch
For my toddler:
- 2 training pants (she’s still not fully potty trained)
- Toilet seat covers
- A bunch of snacks
- A change of clothes or just an extra shirt
- A small portable toy (she will pick it before we leave)
- A Kid Kanteen water bottle
- Hair barrettes (we usually get them from H & M)
- A water bottle
- A Sunniva Super Coffee (this is a shelf-stable coffee drink with protein and coconut oil so it really helps me during the afternoon when I feel like I’m about to fall asleep)
- My Pickle Petunia Bottom wanderlust wallet (I love it because it has a zipper and I can fit my phone in it in when I have to make a quick run to the store)
- Portable cell phone charger + cable
- Lip balm
- Hand sanitizer
- Translucent Face Powder
- Business cards (I’m still wondering why I carry these but you never know)
- 2 pens
- Hair clip
- Cell phone
I know it sounds like a lot but all of this will fit in most of my diaper bags (and I have way too many) with some extra room to spare – which is a must for me since I somehow always end up bringing something back home with us.
By carrying all of this I always have everything I could possibly need when I’m out and it gives me a peace of mind. The last thing I want is to stress about needing something I don’t have because it is not always to stop by a store when you have two little ones.
Is there anything you would add to this list?
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- 8 Ways to Use Bentonite Clay + How to Chose Safe Clay - September 11, 2017
- Need to Go When Your Kid is Having Fun? Ask Your Child This ONE Question To Leave Without Tears - August 24, 2017
- How To Encourage Unsupervised Free Play in a Supervised World - August 20, 2017
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars Recipe - August 17, 2017
- The Best Non-Toxic Odor Remover - August 13, 2017