No matter what time of year or time of day that you visit Disney World, chances are that you are going to experience extensive wait times. Luckily, there are ways to avoid long wait times to make your Disney experience even more magical using a Disney FastPass.
What is a Disney FastPass?
A FastPass allows you to have access to certain rides, shows and character meet-and-greets with a short wait time – you usually wait in line about 5-10 minutes. You can book your 3 FastPasses 30 days prior to your visit, or 60 days prior if you’re staying at a Disney hotel.
How does the Disney FastPass work?
Your Disney FastPass is a way to bypass long lines. Popular rides have usually 2 lanes, the regular lanes and the FastPass lanes. When using the FastPass lane you usually wait 10 – 15 minutes (and sometimes there’s no wait) to get on that ride.
When you’re using a FastPass you get a window of one hour to get on that ride – so you don’t have to worry too much about being on a tight schedule. Once you have used your 3 FastPasses, you get access to extra FastPasses one at a time. So I recommend you book your FastPasses on the earlier side. By doing this, we have been able to use our FastPass 6-7 times in one visit.
How much does the Disney FastPass cost?
Every visit to a Disney Park you are given three FastPasses to use at your own discretion completely FREE; well, included with your ticket.
When to use a Disney FastPass?
There are certain rides that tend to have long lines and your FastPass is best used for one of these rides. However, some of the rides are not worth using your FastPass on because they don’t tend to have very long wait times typically.
I asked a friend who used to work at Disney to share with me the ten rides that people shouldn’t waste their Disney FastPass on, and here’s what she said.
Ten rides that you shouldn’t bother wasting your FastPass on:
1. Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor: This ride can be found in Tommorrowland at Magic Kingdom and because of being a ride that takes several passengers at once, it tends to be a ride that you can get through quickly. It is a fun interactive show with all of your favorite Monsters.
2. It’s a Small World: This one is located in Fantasyland and it is another one that takes several passengers because one boat can hold several people and on top of that there are several boats going one right after another so this is definitely not one that you want to waste your FastPass on.
3. The Magic Carpets of Aladdin: Located in Adventureland I have found that the Magic Carpets never tend to have a very long wait time. I’m not sure if it is an unpopular ride or if it is just constantly going quickly so the wait time isn’t very long. I personally have never waited more than around 20 minutes for this, which is short when it comes to Disney World.
4. Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover: If you are looking to take a break from all of the madness, you can jump aboard the PeopleMover and sit back and relax while enjoying a tour of Tomorrowland. This one never tends to have more than a 15-20 minute wait time.
5. Frontierland Shootin Arcade: If you love shooting targets without having to wait a long time, I would really recommend the Frontierland Shootin Arcade! There is never an extensive wait time and it really is a fun attraction.
6. Spaceship Earth: How cool is it to say you are inside the huge ball at Epcot, this attraction is a one of a kind experience and the great part is…the wait time usually isn’t very high. I would say it is typically around 15-20 minutes.
7. It’s Tough to Be a Bug!: This sensory show is found at Animal Kingdom and it is a great show, but be prepared to experience all of your senses including smell and feeling.
8. Kilimanjaro Safaris: If you love animals you will want to take a tour through Animal Kingdom to see all of the amazing animals there. Lucky for you, typically a FastPass is not necessary for this attraction as they have multiple trams going at once.
9. Muppet Vision 3D: Another great show that you can find at Hollywood Studios! If you love the muppets, you’ll absolutely LOVE this show! In my experience there is never an extensive wait time for this attraction.
10. Enchanted Tales with Belle: If story telling is something you enjoy, this will be one that you will really enjoy. The story is interactive as they assign parts for guests to play and the best part is there is never typically a very long wait time.
There are a lot of great rides with extremely long lines that you will want to save your FastPasses for so I would really recommend not using your FastPass on any of these attractions. Trust me, you will be able to get into them without much of a wait.