Summer is upon us! That means the weather is hot and we’re outside being active. Hot summer weather and increased activity lead to…. sweat. And sweat can lead to body odor – nobody wants that!
While no one wants to deal with body odor, so many store-bought deodorants contain endocrine disruptors, which have been linked to many health issues. Why use something that can harm your health when there are so many healthier alternatives available and when you can make your own no-toxic deodorant spray…?
Harmful ingredients in conventional deodorants
These are plenty of questionable ingredients in conventional deodorants, here’s a tiny list of some of the ingredients we like to avoid when it comes to deodorants:
- Parabens: They are an endocrine disruptor that should be avoided. You can learn more about it on this post.
- Triclosan: This ingredient is commonly used to prevent bacterial contamination, and to kill bacteria on the surface of the skin. The problem is that it has been linked to thyroid issues as well as cancer.
- Propylene Glycol: A neurotoxin linked to kidney and liver damage.
- Aluminum compounds (antiperspirants): They block your sweat glands temporarily and reduce the amount of sweat released but they can mimic estrogen and have been linked to breast cancer.
- Fragrance: I stay away from anything that says fragrance unless the company discloses how they came up with those fragrances (most companies won’t disclose it). Fragrances can contain phthalates and other ingredients that act as endocrine disruptors.
Before you make the switch…
If you’ve been using conventional deodorant for a while, your armpits might have a build up of these toxic chemicals. It is best to do an armpit detox before or once you start using a natural deodorant.
The detox allows your body to release all those build up toxins faster. Once those toxins are gone your armpits will be less stinky – and that’s what we all want, isn’t it?
You probably need an armpit detox if:
- you’re using a natural deodorant and your armpits get a little stinky
- the baking soda used in natural deodorants is giving you a rash
- you’ve never done an armpit detox
Click here to find out how to do an armpit detox, it’s very simple, takes about 5 minutes and all you need is two ingredients.
Now, back onto this deodorant spray…
I am now obsessed with deodorant sprays. Why? Because other homemade deodorants ended up staining some of my shirts (thanks coconut oil!) and they just don’t feel as refreshing as a spray. Plus the sprays are so easy to make and they just smell soooo good!
This DIY Deodorant Spray for Men uses 3 main ingredients: vodka, witch hazel and aloe vera. Here’s why:
Vodka – you might be wondering why on earth you would use vodka as part of your deodorant but the alcohol helps kills the germs and helps the other ingredients to mix well together. Plus, vodka is a much cleaner alcohol and that’s why I advice you to use vodka instead of alcohol you buy at the pharmacy.
The bacteria that accumulates in our armpits is partially responsible for body odor – the bacteria breaks down sweat molecules and that’s what causes the odor. So the vodka in this recipe is essential to kills germs and bacteria.
Witch hazel is great for the skin, even under arm skin, because it is a strong antioxidant and astringent. As an astringent, it helps to remove excess oil and moisture. Because witch hazel is a anti inflammatory, it can also help soothe and prevent razor burn. It is also a natural toner and cleanser.
Aloe vera has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Because of those properties, it helps to prevent and reduce odor. It is also very soothing and is a natural moisturizer, which is beneficial in this deodorant because alcohol alone can be drying.
The magnesium flakes are not necessary but I have found them to be helping at preventing stinky armpits. Plus, most of us are depleted in magnesium so this is a great way to get a little bit of it in our bodies.
For this recipe, I chose essential oils with a manly smell and that also are great for skin and killing germs:
Cedarwood essential oil reduces skin irritations and is anti-inflammatory. Frankincense is amazing because of its antiseptic and disinfectant properties. Tea tree oil is also antiseptic, antibacterial and antiviral.
DIY Natural Deodorant Spray Recipe for Men
This recipe makes enough for a 2 ounce spray bottle.
- 1 tablespoon vodka (I prefer to use vodka from potatoes – it will state on the label)
- 1/2 tablespoon aloe vera spray or gel (I prefer the spray, it makes mixing the ingredients a lot easier)
- 1/2 tablespoon witch hazel
- 1/4 teaspoon magnesium flakes (optional)
- 4 drops Cedarwood essential oil
- 4 drops Germ Fighter essential oil
- 4 drops Frankincense essential oil
- 8 drops Tea tree essential oil
Add the magnesium flakes, if you’re using any, to the bottle.
If you’re using aloe vera gel, you might find that it’s easier to mix all the ingredients in a bowl and then add them to the bottle but if you’re using the aloe vera spray you can add each ingredient directly to the bottle.
Insert a funnel into the top of your bottle and then pour in the vodka.
Add the aloe vera spray and witch hazel.
Then remove the funnel and put the essential oil drops into your bottle.
Put the top back on and shake the bottle for a few seconds so all the ingredients can mix well together.
To use: Spray one to two times under each armpit.
Use the deodorant spray as needed. You will probably find yourself using it 2-3 times a day at first and on hot days and then as your armpits get adjusted to using a natural deodorant, you will probably just need to use it once.
That’s it – pretty simple, right? My husband finds that this deodorant has worked well and he is a personal trainer so I’m hoping you will also love it and find that it keeps you stink free without having to add toxic chemicals back into your life.