Who doesn’t love chocolate?
Chocolate is the one thing I can never have enough, especially now that I’m nursing so I knew finding a recipe to satisfy my chocolate craving was a must.
We live in a world filled with delicious foods but a lot of them are not healthy. Cacao is actually healthy – it is consider a super food because of its antioxidants properties and because it’s rich in magnesium.
The problem when it comes to chocolate is not so much the cacao but the other ingredients used when making chocolate, like high fructose corn syrup, which are not good for you. This is why I always try to find a healthier alternative.
I started baking with coconut oil many years ago and that’s how I came up with this recipe. What I love about this treat is that not only does this satisfy my sweet tooth, but it’s actually great for those trying to incorporate more coconut oil and cacao in their diets.
Coconut oil chocolate bars recipe
This will take you about 5 minutes to prepare and you’ll have to wait 15 minutes before it’s ready to eat.
It’s so easy to make, you can make it with your kids!
It’s best to use only organic ingredients.
- 2/3 cup of Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup of Cacao Powder (you can also use this one)
- 1/3 cup of Maple Syrup (you can use Raw Honey too)
- pinch of salt
- This is optional but is what gives it a great flavor: nuts and/or unsweetened shredded coconut. You can add as much or as little as you like of slivered or sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts in pieces or shredded coconut (for the coconut I like to put it in a frying pan for a few minutes until it gets brown and crunchy).
- silicone molds
Mix the coconut oil and maple syrup in a pan until the mixture is combined, about 1-2 minutes on low heat.
Then, add the cacao powder and pinch of salt.
Finally, add the amount of nuts or coconut that you like. You can add the nuts directly to the mixture or in each silicone mold and then add the mixture on top, like this:
Once it’s all mixed you can put it in a Pyrex dish covered in parchment paper or in silicone molds. I love using silicone trays in different shapes to give it a nicer look. These and these are my favorite but you can make them even more fun for the kids by using silicone trays with dinosaur or worm shapes.
Put it in the freezer for 15 minutes or leave in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Once it hardens, dish it out and serve.
Store it in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
It never last for more than a few days in my home so I hope your family loves it as much as we do!
Let me know what you think of this recipe!
Save this recipe by pinning this image:
Latest posts by Carolina (see all)
- 8 Ways to Use Bentonite Clay + How to Chose Safe Clay - September 11, 2017
- Need to Go When Your Kid is Having Fun? Ask Your Child This ONE Question To Leave Without Tears - August 24, 2017
- How To Encourage Unsupervised Free Play in a Supervised World - August 20, 2017
- Coconut Oil Chocolate Bars Recipe - August 17, 2017
- The Best Non-Toxic Odor Remover - August 13, 2017